Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Thru Chuck Needed

That is a beautiful and expensive double angle collet set.
I use them on my metal lathe and Mill. They are overkill.

I'd consider C5 collets if you can get a chuck.
http://www.ecolletchucks.com/BISON/B...ET-CHOICES.htm

Bison is a good name and rated for Steel - so it is true running.
C5 has square and hex and round collets.

There are many other sources and companies that sell these.

Martin

Jack Stein wrote:
mac davis wrote:
On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:49:19 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

Thanks Fred. I was thinking of doing something like this with some
1x8 nuts rather than buying a tap. I have a number of face plates
that I can use as well. I was I'll be in touch for the PDF file.

Thanks again.

I noticed that Penn State has a "Dowel chuck" for less than $100, with
several
collets... Couldn't tell from the picture (old catalog) if the collets
were
pass-through, but if so, it might work well for ya..

Yes, a collet chuck is exactly what I need. Penn state has one for $90
and the Beall Collet Chuck for which I found a review he

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...tchuckrvu.html

Looks perfect, but costs $160. Now I'm thinking of making my own
collet chuck out of wood and a few 1x8 nuts. Turning the collet should
be easy enough, and a hose clamp would work well to tighten things up.

Fred, I sent you an email for your PDF file on making a spring collet,
but haven't received it yet.