Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default the accidental plater

"Dick 'Tater" wrote in message
On Nov 11, 10:12 am, "John R. Carroll"
wrote:

Anything bigger than about an inch and a half will split if you use
CerroBend Ed

Have to disagree, as my french horn bell section did not, despite
having a longitudinal brazed seam. Of course the bend radius was
rather large and it only got that big in diameter towards the end.

Took all my weight on the steel bar I cast sticking out the open end
to finish the bend though.

Musical instruments are generally conical in cross section so the alloy
has
the opportunity to displace and avoid damagind the part.
I sent Ed three pics of a part I finished recently that was filled with
Cerrelow 136. Test parts filled with CerraBend just ruptured. The volume,
however, was nearly closed and it was also fairly large.
Hey, if you want to have some fun sometime, take a Cerrabend filled part
and
quench it in ice water!
The result looks like something that's been through a hail storm.
LOL

And that's one heck of an impressive part, too. It looks like something that
would be sitting under you if you rode a rocket into orbit.

--
Ed Huntress