Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rodjava rodjava is offline

Default I need plans for a lathe bit grinding jig like this? Can a HomeShop Machinist help me out?

On Nov 11, 5:54*pm, rodjava wrote:
On Nov 11, 5:30*pm, Tove Momerathsson wrote:

rodjava wrote:
I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay.
So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow.
I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/South-Bend-Lathe-tool-cutter-bit-grinding-block_W....65:12|39:1|240:1318

Thank you in advance
Rod
San Francisco

There are plans for a similar jig in the Village Press book "The Shop
Wisdom of D. E. Johnson", pp 2-4. *The book is a collection of the
articles Johnson wrote for Home Shop Machinist over the years, so the
article also appeared in HSM some time ago.

Johnson uses a Jergen's square hole sleeve (MSC sells them) to hold
the bit, so unlike the commercial unit, his jig is good only for one
size of bit. *If you need two sizes of bit, you'll have to build two
jigs.

Village Press used to sell copies of old articles at a reasonable cost
per page. *Don't know if they still do. *And you'd probably need the
original HSM article reference, though they might be nice and copy
the three pages from the book. *If you're near a library, there's also
Interlibrary Loan which can borrow books for you from other libraries,
though it may take time for the system to find a library with a copy
of Johnson's book.

Tove

Tove,
Thank you for the reference. It's a alternative if no other plans are
available online and for free.
I'm still hoping another HSM will come through.

Rod

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
I thought it out and here is what I plan to do.

Since I already have all sizes of 5c square collets, I bought a 5c
collet block on Ebay for only $25 and will use the way the jig I
mentioned works.
I can easily mill the 10 degrees on at the end of one side. Now I
will have the best of both worlds. A indexable 5c collet block and
lathe bit grinder jig. Oh yeah, I also get a hex body besides the
square body!

http://cgi.ebay.com/COLLET-BLOCK-SET-5C-COLLET-COLLETS-NEW_W0QQitemZ390007623066QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item390007623066&_trksid=p3286.c 0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Rod
San Francisco