Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Snags with submain, extending meter tails

BigWallop coughed up some electrons that declared:

Yeeeessss...... That "something" does need clarified, doesn't it? And
within 3 mtrs of? Is that 3 mtrs of the head or the meter, or the new
position of the CU? Are you taking the meter to the new position as well?

I almost get the feeling that I'm the first person to bother asking in any
detail(!).

Actually, the previous reply from them said, and I quote:

"EDF policy = 3 Metres Max length between meter and consumer unit
Double insulated 25mm copper tails 16mm earth wire"

I've asked them to specifically clarify that again for a submain.

In the meantime, I rang Hager regarding their 100A switch fuse (IU44-11),
which is a BS1361 type. They confirmed that the 100A DP isolator may be
swapped for one of their Type S DP RCDs, in other words I might order one
of them up and adapt it depending on EDF's reply. Equally well, the fuse
component could be removed if necessary. I need something to terminate my
SWA into anyway and something to join it to the tails to the meter.

I've got enough information to proceed, knowing it can be tweaked if someone
gets arsey.

That's my old ways, and they're set like that. :-) Always allow for
expansion. lol

I'm like that too - I'm using a 20way board which will have at least 5 ways
spare (some modules are double width, I don't have 15 circuits)

But, on this type of installation, don't go over the top with it. Protect
the sub-mains supply as best you can, with as little equipment as
possible. There is always something that makes this possible, and it's
always in a smaller box.

Wise words... That's why I'm getting all the information up front. Nothing
worse than finding out the SWA isn't up to spec or what it's terminated
into isn;t either.

Head..........Meter...........Tails...........Prot ection.............SWA....

Yep - I think we're singing to the same sheet. It's only the "protection"
that's attracting differing views.

BTW, meter stays where it is. As I mentioned, EDF charge a fortune to move
their gear. 35 quid for a fuse pull is bad enough!

Cheers

Tim