Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default wall fixings for curtain pole

"Sam" wrote in message
Hello again,

The plaster over mesh thing wasn't as far-fetched as it might sound.
The builders decided (in the 1970s) to put out soil pipe inside the
cavity wall. Outside are bricks, in the middle is the soil pipe, and
on the other side is the mesh with plaster over. I hope I never need
to access the soil pipe!

I have drilled another hole and it seems that the window is not like
this. There is flaky plaster over a breeze block. The problem is that
the wall plug (and I'm using proper rawl ones, not the cheap ones
included with the rail) are expanding in the plaster section, rather
than inside the block. The double-threaded thing, simply does not go
far enough to reach the block. When the plug tries to expand, the
plaster is simply crumbling around it so that it will not secure.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Do what most people end up doing. Fix a wooden batten along the wall above
the window with big screws into the brieze block. Paint the wood to match
the wall so it becomes mostly invisible. Fix curtain pole to this.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)