Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Sam is offline

Default wall fixings for curtain pole

Hello,

The other day a curtain pole fell down without warning. It was an old
pole that had been there when we moved into the house so I decided to
take the opportunity to replace it with a fresh shiny one. The new one
comes with two nylon wall plugs.

I drilled two holes for the plugs but it seems that the wall above the
windows consists of very flaky plaster over nothing. The hole is too
small to see into but after going through the surface, there doesn't
seem to be any resistance on the drill bit. It's as if there's a big
hole! Could it be that the builders bricked up to the window and then
in the foot or so above the window got lazy and just put plaster over
that wire mesh stuff that they use? (This is a bedroom window so has
nothing above it).

What is the best thing to use to anchor the curtain pole into the
wall? The problem is that the curtain pole bracket has a screw hole in
the back and comes with a double-ended thread so that one end screws
into the bracket and the other end screws into the wall IYSWIM.

TIA.