Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default 5-0-5 A panel meter?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:49:51 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

Why not put one of these in
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=37279
They are cheap enough to hack into shape and they frequently have them on
offer for less.

Hmmmm.

I suppose if I was going digital I could do as you say and hack one
about, even re-casing it etc? If I did that I'm not sure how much of
the PCB I could lose but I'd want it hard wired on the 10A scale (and
I think the shunt is at the bottom) and could fit a toggle switch or
PTM button for 'on' etc? (or one of those two way mini-toggles that's
centre off with a switched make one way and momentary the other, for a
quick instantaneous reading).

Or I could leave it pretty well as-is and just cut the internal and
fit an additional / external 'on' switch so I wouldn't have to turn
the selector round to 'off' every time (I think the 10A circuit would
remain in any case). I could even hard wire my circuit leads and use
the probes on other meters. ;-)

As you say, I've bought them at 2 for a fiver before so a cheap way to
get the display and 10A shunts etc (as less faffing re calibrating).

Good thinking, thanks. ;-)

T i m

p.s. Now if I could find a cheap one that did auto off! ;-)