Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
LLBrown LLBrown is offline

Default the accidental plater

"Don Young" wrote in message
esprovideinc...

wrote in message
Here is what goes on.... I bend a thin wall brass tube to shape then I
have
to melt the bending medium out of the pipe with a torch. This causes a
black scaling to show up on the outside of the pipe. To remove this I dip
the pipe in a 50/50 mix of muratic acid and water. This in turn plates
the
pipe with very thin copper that I have to buff off.

Would a paint stripping gun get hot enough to remove your bending
medium without producing scale?
--Glenn Lyford
I bet it would. My heat gun works great for mass de-soldering of old
circuit boards. I can just melt the solder, whack the board against
something solid, and all the components fall off.

Don Young

Hi,
I can melt the pitch (tar) out ok with a heat gun but I have to get the
pipe red hot to turn residue into ash. This is for musical instruments so
the pipe has to be really consistant.
LLB