Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O. Mike O. is offline

Default What Stairs Are

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:24:16 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Wish I could tell you. But I know well the feeling prior to a "building
final", that no matter how diligent/careful you've been, some arcane
interpretation of an esoteric bit of code regarding stairs could cost you a
bundle to correct, for there are few things that can be harder, or more
expensive to fix, than a set of failed stairs in a "finished" house.

Around here, the actual framing of the stairs gets inspected at the
framing inspection. The run, rise, landings, width etc. are the
responsibility of the framing inspector.
The final guy can only reject the stairs if the final floor messes up
the rise (we've fixed a few for this problem before installing treads)
or we do something wrong with rails or balusters. Knock on wood,
we've never had one tagged.

Mike O.