Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Yukio YANO Yukio YANO is offline

Default Repair: Elect Hot water heater?

wilsonkori wrote:
I have a Rheem Elect Hot Water heater that is about 11 years old. The
hot water it puts out is not so hot anymore. I am wanting to replace
the elements and possibly the thermostats too. I have never done this
before. Have any of you? Any tips would be appreciated.

It still gets hot, so both the thermostat and Heating Element are doing
their jobs ! Your problem appears to be the need to replace the "Dip
Tube" !!! This is a Plastic Insert that feeds the "Cold water IN to the
bottom of the Tank" When this fails , cold water "IN" short Circuits to
the "Hot Water Out port" resulting in very little "HOT Water" out. Your
local Plumbing and Heating Store is VERY familiar with this ! "The
middle shelf in row *** "!Labeled "DIP TUBE" ~$4.00! At 11 years you
might consider replacement. Energy-Efficient Electric Hot-Water Heaters
!! You're kidding ! The only losses are in the piping, so Instant
heating might help, but off-peak Electric heating might be more practical

Yukio YANO