Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Repair: Elect Hot water heater?

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:58:58 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

"wilsonkori" wrote in message

I have a Rheem Elect Hot Water heater that is about 11 years old. The
hot water it puts out is not so hot anymore. I am wanting to replace
the elements and possibly the thermostats too. I have never done this
before. Have any of you? Any tips would be appreciated.

Buy a new water heater. If you look over your homeowner's insurance, one
thing that virtually all policies exclude is water damage from a failed hot
water tank which is over some predetermined age, often 5 years. Believe me,
it is UGLY when a hot water tank springs a leak and 40 or 50 gallons of
water leak out. Murphy's law dictates that this will most likely happen
while you away from home for an extended period.

I wonder if there's any reason other than planned obsolescence why
manufacturers can't build a tank of stainless steel or at least galvanized
steel which won't rust. I know the cost would be higher but they'd last
virtually forever.

I had a water heater with a non-metalic tank once. Was fine until it
caught on fire! The sad realization was that had we not caught the
fire when it first started, it is likely to have spread totally before
burning through the tank!

Now, a stainless tank I could see... Most tank damage is however due
to the effects of a blown element, the voltage from the element to the
tank causes it to quickly eat a hole in the tank.