Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave[_4_] Dave[_4_] is offline

Default Repair: Elect Hot water heater?

"wilsonkori" wrote in message
. ..

I have a Rheem Elect Hot Water heater that is about 11 years old. The
hot water it puts out is not so hot anymore. I am wanting to replace
the elements and possibly the thermostats too. I have never done this
before. Have any of you? Any tips would be appreciated.

Buy a new water heater. If you look over your homeowner's insurance, one
thing that virtually all policies exclude is water damage from a failed hot
water tank which is over some predetermined age, often 5 years. Believe me,
it is UGLY when a hot water tank springs a leak and 40 or 50 gallons of
water leak out. Murphy's law dictates that this will most likely happen
while you away from home for an extended period.

I wonder if there's any reason other than planned obsolescence why
manufacturers can't build a tank of stainless steel or at least galvanized
steel which won't rust. I know the cost would be higher but they'd last
virtually forever.