Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Confusion over lengths of T4 fluorescents

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article

,
Richard Russell writes:
This is more of a rant than a question... Why are there two similar
(but incompatible) lengths of 20W T4 slimline fluorescent tube - the
so-called 'Eterna' variety (as sold by B&Q) which is 578mm between the
ends of the pins, and the 'Standard' variety which is 567mm between
the ends of the pins?

There aren't any standards for T4 tubes, unfortunately.
Most fluorescent tube sizes were developed and standardised
in Europe and the US. T4's came from the far East, and there
are different ones from different manufacturers.

And different ones with the same manufacturer!

Three undercupboard lights, all by the same manufacturer. Two of the tubes
were smashed before I installed the fittings.

I went to the wholesalers and bought three replacement lamps so that
everything matched. One of these replacements did not fit in any of the
fittings and the other two were different colours. All three had the same
manufactures name number and colour stamped on the glass and were in
identical boxes.

Aurora made the tubes in case you wanted to ask:-)

Ask