Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Why do 'Cordless' Electric kettles keep breaking down?

wrote:
My 13 year old Philips cordless kettle is on the way out - dodgy
sprung contacts in the base unit. Had bent them to make better contact
recently (yes, with it unplugged) - didn't last.

Now I'm looking for a real built to last replacement.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an old Morphy Richards K2
from ebay.

Suggestions on really good quality modern kettles?

The one I like, and we have had for three or so years, is the Krups:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-Control-Kettle-Black/dp/B0002GTOP4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1226334689&sr=1-10

It is lighter than most (which is vital for partner who has muscle
problems). Works nicely. Is partially sealed from the room so unlikely
for flies to get into it.

(Actually we have a Dutch one. Lower wattage but white - we didn't like
the black, and even less the heavier stainless model. To be fair,
although the stainless is heavier, it seemed to be much lighter than
most SS kettles.)

The reviews on Amazon are not overwhelmingly favourable - but we have no
problems like those mentioned.

--
Rod

onset.