Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default In-line dual-pole RCBO for extension leads?

On 10 Nov, 14:53, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * writes:

What I'd
like to do is find an in-line RCBO so that I can take an n-way
extension, chop off the plug and attach a Schuko-style plug and and
RCBO. Then I can get rid of my collection of Schuko-to-BS1363 adapters
and assorted mains leads and travel with a standard set of kit that
never needs changing.

One comment I'd make is that RCD's are fragile devices and usually
fail unsafe. If you have one as part of portable equipment, make
sure you always test it when you are setting up, and at frequent
intervals whilst in use. Otherwise, you will be unaware when it's
been dropped and no longer trips off. For this reason, I never
buy the type which is built in to a plug. People treat them like
plugs in terms of dropping, bashing, kicking, etc, and they don't
survive that.

Would a power strip with a built in RCD help?
http://www.olson.co.uk/fused_rcd.htm "panel mounted fuse holder and
30mA RCD"

They also do them with individually fused sockets
http://www.olson.co.uk/power_strip.htm

Or bespoke with a range of options, though that might be pricy.
"Customer specified sockets, including combinations of different
sockets
UK 13A (BS1363), IEC320 C13 10A, IEC320 C19, IEC309 16A and 32A, USA,
German, French, Swiss, Italian, Neutrik, Electrak
Customer specified options such as switches, circuit breakers, fuses,
neon indicators, meters, rf filters, sequential start timers"

Thanks Andrew, thanks Owain.

I should have looked at Olsen - I've specified them in datacentres
often enough, usually bespoke. I've not been the one paying.

I usually test RCDs pretty much every time I energise them - just got
into the habit. Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've not had one fail
yet. I take the point about being fragile, 'though. Knocking about in
checked baggage is not the most benign of environments. Anything
brittle gets double wrapped in bubble wrap, and I make sure the
suitcase is stuffed to prevent rattling about. A friend of mine told
me to pack as if the suitcase were to be thrown from the second storey
of a building, which seems to work, and having often watched baggage
handlers load and unload, I see what luggage gets put through.

Sid