Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] leenowell@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Heating system from hell....

On Nov 10, 11:42*am, "Slider" wrote:
"TheScullster" wrote in message

news

wrote

Hi all,

I added a radiator to my sister's central heating system and fitted a

snip.........

Other responders assume this is a pressurised system - can't see that in
the original post.
But, in any case.......
Have you switched any zone valves in the system to the manual position ?
There may be one three-way valve OR maybe one or more two-way valves.
Moving these to the manually open position greatly improves the drain/fill
operation.

Phil

Is it just a case of the system needs balancing as you have added 1 radiator
and increased the size of the other?
Close the valves on the rads nearest the boiler to let the other rads have
more heat.
Can the boiler cope with the additional rad and the larger other radiator?- Hide quoted text -

One step further forward..... I was thinking about Scullster's reply
and although I asked the question about zones etc. whilst I was there,
there were 2 motorised valves in the airing cupboard one for the water
and another one (I assumed the heating controlled one). Cutting a
long story short, I got her to up the termostat downstairs and the
kitchen one that operates the kitchen underfloor heating and hey
presto, the rad strung to life!!!!

Next bizzare thing is that the rad heated slowly (about 20 mins) from
left (normal valve) to right (TRV) and the pipe "feeding" the TRV
remains cold. I fitted the TRV when I fitted the rad and although it
claims to be bi-directional, I suspect that it is only working in 1
direction (I had proved it worked in the other direction over the
weekend). Does this sound likely?

Feels like a wasted weekend but hey a solution in the end. I guess
the next questionto answer is how exactly does her heating system work
- i.e. which thermostat got it going....