Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Outlet tester, unusual indication

Andy wrote:
Andy comments:

If the outlet was wired for 220, then all three lights would be lit.
However, a 220 outlet is "supposed" to have a different
style of receptacle. Sometimes, someone takes a shortcut.

I don't know it this is your problem, but it is a reasonable
hypothesis.

Get a voltmeter and check it out before you plug in anything......

Wouldn't seem very likely unless there were a pretty uncommon in the US
for home use nonstandard 240V fridge there before. But then it would
have taken a second hack to put a nonstandard plug on the cord as well.

I don't know the particular fault, either, but that one doesn't sound
like a particularly likely one to me...