Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default question about mold on wood subfloor

wrote:

Hi;

I am doing a tile project - installing ceramic tile over an area that
was originally carpeted. It is in a bathroom, on a second floor.

Under the carpet there is the wood subfloor. I planned on just
removing the carpet and pad, installing backer board, then tile.

When I pulled up the carpet right along the shower, there is black
mold on the wood subfloor. I'm pretty sure it's not a leak, just the
shower usage and dripping when the shower door opens. There is maybe
a square foot area with this issue.

The wood seems OK structurally, it doesn't look rotted out at least
and seems to just be mold on the surface.

Is there anything I can or should do to clean it up? Can I bleach
it? Seems like putting any liquids or cleaners on wood is not a good
idea. Maybe put a layer of the Killz primer on it?

Cutting out the section and replacing is probably not feasible, at
least not for me to do, I'd have to go get a contractor for that I
guess. The whole shower would have to be removed I think.

Thanks for any information.

Well.....water isn't good for wood, but that is why there is mildew on
the wood. I would
brush on a mix of water/bleach, not too strong, wipe, rinse quickly,
wipe, let dry, and
proceed. I would not let the bleach stand for long or soak into the
wood, as it probably,
over time,would cause some deterioration. Since the wood is sound, the
amount of
leakage has probably been minimal.