Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Repair: Elect Hot water heater?

wilsonkori wrote:
I have a Rheem Elect Hot Water heater that is about 11 years old. The
hot water it puts out is not so hot anymore. I am wanting to replace
the elements and possibly the thermostats too. I have never done this
before. Have any of you? Any tips would be appreciated.

Most electric hot water heaters are simple to fix if that is your
problem. The easiest way is to first turn off the power to the unit,
disconnect one of the wires to the elements, and using an ohm meter
determine which element is open. If you find an element open it is
unlikely that you need to replace the thermostats as well.

Turn off the water supply to the water heater and drain the water in
the tank to a level below the height of the bad element using the valve
on the bottom of the tank. (Opening a faucet in the house higher than
the hot water heater will help drain the water from the tank.) Unscrew
the element with a pipe wrench or other wrench and pull out the element.
Buy a replacement of the same wattage and physical size at HD or
Lowes. When installing the new one make sure your gasket area is clean
and it might be wise to put some pipe dope on the threads of the
element. (You do not want a leak when the water is again turned on.)
Once the water level is again covering the elements and the wiring has
been replaced, apply power.