Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Planning to build a new large shed.

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 10 Nov,
Tim S wrote:

From my research, 5m (as mentioned by the OP) from the existing house
avoids the building being deducted from permitted development, weird
stuff like conservation areas notwithstanding.

The regulations have recently changed (from October?). My first reading
seems to indicate that the permitted development limit (of a percentage
of the original size) was no longer there. Can anyone clarify on this?

I think permitted development is still there in general - it had better be
because I've got 40m3 of PD left and I plan to use it. The scope of
buildings in the garden changed a bit - I did notice that. You can stick
solar and ground source heat pumps in now as a permitted activity but you
may need permission for certain types of driveways (water runoff).

Cheers

Tim

BTW - have a look at this:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/upl...ouseguide.html

Cheers

Tim

PS

From the planning portal, the section on sheds:

"
Under new regulations that came into effect on 1 October 2008 outbuildings
are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning
permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

*
No outbuilding forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway.
*
Outbuildings and garages to be single storey with maximum eaves height
of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched
roof or three metres for any other roof.
*
Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
*
No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
*
No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would
be covered by additions or other buildings.
*
In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and
World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings,
enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be
limited to 10 square metres.
*
On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the
side of properties will require planning permission.
*
Within the curtilage of listed buildings any outbuilding will require
planning permission.

*The term "original house" means the house as it was first built or as it
stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may
not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done
so."