Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Outlet tester, unusual indication

In article , bud--
wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
So the g.f. and I are chipping in on a newly remodeled investment house
in her city, 300 miles from me. Home inspector sent a report that
included a notation that the outlet intended for the refrigerator is
giving an odd indication on the 3-LED tester: All three lights
illuminate.

Any speculation on what could cause this unlisted and presumably
improbable test result?

IMHO all 3 lights lit indicates voltage between each pair of wires.
Assuming the outlet is not connected to 220 that requires one wire,
probably ground, to be not be connected or be open back to the panel.

Post what you find Smitty.

Damned if I can visualize any combination of wiring problems that would
put 120 across each pair of wires, but that sure seems like the
indication...