Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Outlet tester, unusual indication

In article ,
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 13:43:11 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 12:30:54 -0500,
wrote:

Bad CFCI, and an attached downstream load. Try tripping the GFCI and
resetting it a few times. They disconnect the neutral and it is not
closing properly. Sometimes just cycling it will clean the contacts.
If not, replace it.

If the house is to code, none of these explanations really hits it,
because there CAN NOT BE another load on the line, as refigerator plug
needs to be a separate circuit.

It is perfectly legal to have the fridge on a 20a small appliance
circuit. It is only when you serve it from a 15a circuit that it must
be dedicated.

This is also a fairly recent rule(1996) . If you have an old house the
fridge might be on with just about anything. Prior to 96 you could
even have outdoor receptacles on the SA circuit.

But the "total remodel" would have required bringing the house totally
up to code. House was likely built with knob and tube. The fact there
are open grounds in several bedrooms would make me severely question
if the house was totally and properly rewired.

My guess? There is a LOT that is not up to code, and a lot of corners
were cut. Get a trustworthy electrician in there and have it checked
out. Two hours should tell the majority of the story and save you a
lot of expensive grief over what you don't know now.

Agreed. Very frustrating that it's so far away and I can't at least try
to troubleshoot this myself, with help from my a.h.r. pals. I contacted
the inspector and asked him for a referral to a good electrician. Our
inspection contingency expires in a few days.

Of course I'm eager to get an explanation of the fridge outlet anomaly,
but told the inspector I'd like to get the whole electrical system
looked over to see whether it's generally sound or a total disaster.

The bank already paid 3K to have the brand new master shower rebuilt
after the last prospective purchaser's inspector found water under the
house. So there were definitely some substandard parts of this project.