Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Water Softener help

First off, the unit could be by-passed, because you get
water flow whether it is bypassed or not. Look on the
side of the bypass, it should say either push to bypass,
or the other side should say push for soft water. some
have a lever that pushes forward and backward, just look at the writing on
it. If there is no writing, then
"GENERALLY" if it is pushed in from the right, it's
bypassed, if it's pushed in from the left, it's soft. Secondly
don't be poking around, it rarely works with a broom
handle. I tell my customers to just pour a bunch of water
right in and over the salt. 5 gallons should be sufficiant.
after you pour in 5 gallons, measure the water level and
then check the level in a few days, or push the regen
button, and then check it the next day to see of the water
goes down. If it does not, then you have a different
problem. Check top make sure it's plugged in, and then
check the drain hose to make sure it's not kinked, the unit
will not work it the drain line is blocked.
wrote in message
Ok, I'm RENTING a house that has hard water and has a water softener.
I had been in the house for a couple of months and realized that the
salt level in the softener never changed. The system IS NOT ON
BYPASS, I made sure of that, I'm getting water flow. When I went to
poke around in the salt, i realized that it is a solid block. It
looks like the pellets in the bag, but they are fused together. So
from about halfway down the tank to the bottom is a solid chunk of
salt. How can I break up/dissolve the salt without removing the
tank??? I am not going to pay a plumber to come out, and the owner of
the house doesn't feel it is worth his time/money. The hard water
bothers my skin, so I would like to find a way to fix this. Any
suggestions???