Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe set-up

wrote:

Wes, I'm not sure that his tailstock is deflecting, but if his lathe
consistently cuts the same tapers, the tailstock is definitely set
off center. Thats how some of us intentionally cut tapers.

I didn't see a tailstock in use. When I was repairing a hub for my Clausing I
intentionally deflected a tailstock to get a tapered spud to further process the hub.

http://wess.freeshell.org/Boring_new_hub.jpg
http://wess.freeshell.org/mandrill.jpg
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausingdriven640.jpg

I had a thought, most beds are worn near the chuck. Mount an indicator in tail stock on a
long rod held in drill chuck, indicate carriage along the first 10 inches moving tail
stock a corresponding distance as staying over a pickup point. I have a feeling the
tailstock ways are in fair shape at the far end. It should give an idea of how the carrage
is tracking.

Wes