Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Elephant Elephant is offline

Default Wind Speed Problem with Heathkit ID-4001

Just a few comments and a question. I also have a ID-4001 thats been running
flawlessly for the past 30?? or so years. I have no problems with the speed or
direction electronics but the outdoor plastic is starting to disintigrate. Last winter I
lost one wind cup. I have looked
for a replacement wind cup and there is none to be found. One company still markets a
5001 (lcd) using the same boom and sensors but they seem to be vaporware. So my question
is, anyone know where I can get a replacement or something that I can fit in place. Also
tried Data Professionals http://www.d8apro.com/heath1.htm none left in stock.

Steve

Hi Steve, I was going to try to replace my CPU with the one from
d8apro.com, but sounds like there are flaws in it. I hope my CPU never
goes out!

Sorry to hear that you lost one of the cups. Guess I'm luck. Even
with the extreme heat in Arizona, my cups seem to be holding up. I did
loose the plastic end on my wind vane a few years back and ended up
fabricating one on my own from a piece of aluminum. Painted it white
and doesn't look too bad. You might want to try to see if you can
fabricate ones for yourself. This web site might give you some ideas.
http://www.otherpower.com/anemometer.html

Other than that, watch on e-bay. I've seen some parts being sold on
there as replacements. Good luck.