Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Can I joint the edge of plywood?

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
To cut it straight first I need to start with one straight edge which I
can put against my table saw fence which I cut the opposing edge. I'm
trying to figure out how to get that first straight edge. I have jointed
boards on my router table before buying a used jointer 2 months ago. I
have HSS knives so I will go back to my router table. Thanks for your
advice.

Hard to say specifically without knowing how long your plywood is... If it's
relatively short compared to your fence, cutting one side and then cutting
the opposite side is usually sufficient. If it's relatively long, a long
straight edge clamped to your fence will let you cut one edge, then cut the
opposite edge. You may want to plan on cutting the first edge again if you
didn't cut the pieces to rough size initially. A steel stud would suffice
for a straight edge for the initial cut.

I'd avoid jointing the edge of plywood. I have face planed ACX and BCX for
use in making shop cabinets to get uniform thickness with success but edges
are tough on the knives and tend to blow up.

John