2manytoyz

Default Dryer to Standard 220 Extension Cord

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
If you don't have water in your shop, why would you want a GFCI?

The code says all 120v 15 or 20a receptacles in garages, unfinished

basements
or out buildings shall be on GFCI.

Well, dammit, I didn't know that! :-) Found this online: "According to
the National Electrical Code, all garage-wall outlets must be GFCI outlets
or standard outlets protected by GFCI circuit breakers"
(http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/prin...216662,00.html)

I have a LOT of outlets in my garage/workshop. I might consider getting a
GFCI breaker rather than rewire all the outlets (or daisy chain some).

More info I found online: Workshops - Of special interest to the DIYer.
Your workshop, when in a garage or outbuilding with a floor at or below
grade, must have GFCI protection on the 120 - volt receptacles. A 1999
change to the code dropped the word "unfinished" in reference to workshops
and storage areas in garages and accessory buildings. So don't think that
just because your shop has a finished floor it meets the code. Most
workshops have a concrete floor, which tends to hold moisture, which
increases shock potential and isn't considered "finished" for the code.
Basement workshops follow the rules for basements. Two hundred twenty -
volt outlets aren't specifically addressed in this part of the code.
However, in a workshop setting they're generally for large machinery like
table saws. Because the outlets will not accept a standard 120 - volt
appliance cord, they fit the "not readily accessible" exception.
(http://www.handymanclub.com/document.asp?cID=55&dID=862)

Learn something new everyday.