Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Can I joint the edge of plywood?

On Nov 9, 7:37*am, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
I am a new jointer owner so I haven't tried this yet. I am going to laminate
some curly maple veneer on 1/2" baltic birch plywood. When it is all done, I
need to have a very straight edge. Can I run that edge over my jointer?

You can, but you'll ruin your steel knives right quick. The glue is
so hard it'll leave little ridges in the blades. Unless you have
carbide, you don't want to do it. What you can do is joint it on your
router table, by shimming the outfeed side of the fence out. The
carbide is tough enough to stand up to the glue. The ideal thing
would be to cut it straight first, then just flush trim the veneer.

JP