Posted to sci.electronics.repair
No Name

Default Wind Speed Problem with Heathkit ID-4001

In article , Steve
nowhere.com says...

Just a few comments and a question. I also have a ID-4001 thats been
running flawlessly for the past 30?? or so years. I have no problems
with the speed or direction electronics but the outdoor plastic is
starting to disintigrate. Last winter I lost one wind cup.

It looks like each person has a different problem. I suppose I should
knock on wood but my plastic parts seem to be holding up fine. I would
offer you my wind cups but I have not completely given up hope on fixing
mine down the road. I might perhaps tinker with the wind speed problem
in the future even though I have taken the 4001 off line for the moment
and am looking into a different station. I really do like LED display
over todays LCD displays.

I did have to replace the outdoor multistrand cable when the insulation
crumbled. A shorting cable may be part of your problem.

The cable seems fine but I will investigate further. It has been buried
for several years between the house and the sensors after I moved the
sensors off the roof - and it is the original cable. I took down the
boom yesterday and cut the wire in anticipation of a new station but I
left about 10 feet of wire attached so I could test it further inside if
I felt the urge. I guess in my heart of hearts, I really hate to see it
go despite its headaches.

At one point in the distant past I had the 4001 hooked up to a H8 for
data loging. I was an avid kit builder back then.
Many T storms have passed over the 4001 and never caused any problems.

That I just don't understand. I have replaced the LEDs and photosensors
more times than I can remember and the CPU a couple of times (the last
one from d8apro.com). I haven't lost a CPU since I moved the sensors
off the roof and mounted them on a cast iron pipe set in cement covered
by a couple of feet of soil so the boom is directly grounded, but I
still have lost components in the wind sensors. To be honest I think
the CPU has not been damaged only because I take it off line when ever
it even looks like there might be Ts within 50 miles and not because of
anything I did to make the installation better.

for a replacement wind cup and there is none to be found. One company
still markets a 5001 (lcd) using the same boom and sensors but they
seem to be vaporware.

I did look at a site that offered to take a 4001 in trade for a 5001 but
when you look for prices they say they are in the middle of a move and
to check back later. As you say - vaporware.

So my question is, anyone know where I can get a replacement or s
something that I can fit in place.

Not off the top of my head but I will keep that in mind and if I ever
decide I am never going to try to fix mine, I will post something here
letting you know my wind cups are available.

Also tried Data Professionals http://www.d8apro.com/heath1.htm none
left in stock.

Don is really great to work with and very helpful. I only wish the
programming in his CPUs more closely matched the programming in the
original Mostek CPU. I really liked the way the original CPU worked
over the new one.

Steve