Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Lathe set-up

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus3975 wrote:

My clausing lathe cuts tapers instead of straight cylinders.

I am trying to set up my Clausing lathe in a way that eliminates the
possibility that these tapers are caused by anything other than wear
on the lathe (ie, improper leveling, etc)

To that end, I leveled this lathe with a Starrett 98 level.

Did I see the tailstock supporting the other end of your stock? I
don't think so.

Your stock is deflecting. You needed to have a live center in a
properly adjusted tailstock. The LtoD ratio is way wrong. Put a
test indicator on the far end, press down on the stock and see the
deflection.

Wes

I've got a link somewhere on how to check alignment , when I find it I'll
post . But Wes is right , too much sticking out in relation to the diameter
.. Rule of thumb I learned is no more than two diameters protruding from the
chuck .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"