Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder Fred Holder is offline

Default Thru Chuck Needed

Hello Jack,

Since you want this chuck to perform a single task and you want to
keep the cost to a minimum, I would suggest that you make a spring
chuck. The cost will be a faceplate or a 1" x 8 tpi nut and a chunk of
wood. I used to make these for special purpose uses quite often before
I slowly accumulated a dozen or so chucks with different size jaws. I
did an article on these chucks in the December 1996 issue of More
Woodturning. If you want to go to my web site and find my e-mail
address and send me an e-mail, I'll e-mail a PDF of the article to
you. This can be used as a through chuck with the limit of the size
being governed by the diameter of the hole through your headstock. Or
you can make it up larger to hold a piece of wood which is then
supported by a center steady so you can turn the end.

In the early days of woodturning these were quite common and just had
a metal ring that slipped over the outside of the chuck jaws to
compress them onto the workpiece. I used a hose clamp or a metal
ring, if I had one of the right size.

Buy a sack full of 1" x 8 tpi nuts and make a number of these chucks
to hold the tenons on various size pieces. It just takes a short time
to make them and the cost is very low.I found them to work well to
hold the stem for turning spinner tops or the dowel for a bottle
stopper or basically any small round item up to 1" in diameter.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

On Nov 6, 7:49*am, Jack Stein wrote:
I have an old, 1954 vintage Rockwell Delta lathe. *I've been using it to
put new tips on pool cues. *To do this, I jam the cue shaft through the
hollow head spindle and into a ball bearing steady rest I made. *This
works OK if I'm careful to wrap the cue shaft but is not ideal to say
the least.

What I would like to get is a thru chuck that fits a 1 x 8 spindle that
I can tighten down on the cue shaft as it comes out of the spindle.
I've never used a jaw chuck to turn anything, I always attach a hunk of
wood to a face plate to mount bowls or spigots etc. *Chucks are
generally used to hold bowls or spigots and descriptions are not clear
to me if they would hold something like this.

I'm looking for a cheap solution, nothing fancy or expensive, but I'm
not sure which chucks would work best to hold a thin (under 1/2") dowel
threaded through the spindle?

I'm looking at this one from Penn State tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ec...aw-chucks.html

I'm not sure this one would even work from the pictures, and I'd really
like something even cheaper, but under $100 I guess is ok. *It needs to
be self centering as I don't want to fool around adjusting jaws.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server:http://Motzarella.orghttp://jbstein.com