Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default the accidental plater

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ed,
Thanks for your answer, I would be 100% convinced that your answer is
correct except this doesn't happen when the muratic acid is a new clean
batch. Why would that be?

LLB

Ah, well, now you've got me. It may be that there are copper ions in the
acid, if you've used it for that purpose before, and that they'll plate out
like electroless nickel. Now you'll need a chemist, which I definitely am
not. g

I have had a lot of experience with dezincified brass, however, and what
you're describing sounds like it to me.

Just to add a question to the question, what is the difference between inhibited muratic
and non-inhibited muratic?

I know we have some chemists on the list.

Wes