2manytoyz

Default Dryer to Standard 220 Extension Cord

As an owner of a 1962 house, I can tell ya that I had NO grounds connected
at any outlet, nor a ground pin on any outlet. On the rare occasion when I
run out of projects, I rewire the outlets in a room up to the current code.
Fortunately, my wires did have a ground wire, but it was never connected.
At least I have copper wires, unlike some coworkers.

My washer is now connected to a GFCI, but my drier still has the 3 wire
outlet, and consequently, it isn't grounded.

Since you bring it up, have you checked to see if a GFCI is rated for a 1HP+
motor? If you don't have water in your shop, why would you want a GFCI?

"Gfretwell" wrote in message
you can get 110VAC from connecting to either hot wire,
and the neutral.

I have avoided saying it but this is "hold your nose" legal if you put it

on a
GFCI.