Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default log burning - economical?

R D S wrote:
mogga wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 22:54:19 +0000, R D S wrote:

I am toying with a log burning stove which can do hot water and CH.

I would be interested to hear from anyone burning logs as to whether
they find it economical or not and any other input.

Cheers.

next door but one only have a log burner for hot water and heating.
The previous guy who put it in used to have his lounge windows open
all winter as the lounge was sooo hot in order to heat the rest of the
place.
The new people think it's better than the coal fire they used to have.
Even two tips of logs a year is cheaper than a months gas in winter I
think. It's just the effort of cleaning the fire and keeping it going.

So the concensus is that it's worth looking at.
We stayed in a cottage which had a wood burner last weekend which got me
thinking about it. I was surprised by how much wood we seemed to get
through but I have no idea how much it costs.

I think its about 75 quid a cubic meter, which is probably around 1/3 ton.

A quick google sez that a cubic meter is about 700Kwh, so at equivalent
to electric thats maybe about 10p per unit..assuming 100% efficiency. Or
oil at 100p a liter.

On ebay theres a cubic meter of oak logs at 45 quid.

This looks fun

http://www.mpwoodsmith.co.uk/firewood.html

I think te savins genrally come because you only heat what rooms you
want heated.

Don't underestimate how much junkmail and household rubbish you can burn
as well...

Also, if you do carpentry, scrap timber.

Thanks for everyone's input.