Posted to sci.electronics.repair
No Name

Default Wind Speed Problem with Heathkit ID-4001

In article , says...

I really would hate to have to put the ID4001 to rest and get one of the
new units on the market. For one, I love the nice bright display. All
of the new stuff has LCD's that you can't see from across the room. And
I don't like the idea of waiting 7 to 15 seconds for an update on the
wireless sensors.

I agree with you 100%. Both those features, a display readable from
across the room even with the lights off and wired sensors for rapid
updates, would be my ideal on any replacement although I could weaken on
the wired sensors. I cannot count the number of times the wind sensor
has been up and down to replace parts because of nearby lightning
strikes or static discharges. This is despite my trying two different
locations and grounding as much as I can. Have you had any trouble from
static and lightning?

I am currently looking a Peete Brothers The Weather Picture since it has
large LEDs that can be easily seen, but I am still concerned about the
wired sensors. They say their unit is "bullet proof" for static
discharge but they also say not warranted against lightning. I am not
sure if that means only a direct hit, which I can understand, or if it
includes any impulse damage as well.

One other quick question. Does your wind vane move around alot? Let
me explain. During a breezy period, mine moves around as though
someone is spinning it with their hand. It doesn't hold in the
direction the wind is blowing from. I realize that there will be some
veriation for instance if the wind is from the SW, the display will vary
between south and west, but mine actually spins all the way around!
This isn't anything electrical and I can go outside and watch it sping
around like the anemometer! I've balanced it like the instruction
manual says, so that's not the problem. It's just annoying to see it
spinning like there is a tornado on top of me

It's not all the time, but during breezy conditions, it seems to do it
more than I think it should. Any suggestions?

Mine also spins like that, particularly under light wind conditions. I
think in my case it is because it is only about 20 feet off the ground
and there are objects (trees and shrubs) nearby including the house to
the WNW about 70 feet way. I think the wind is affected by nearby
objects that tend to make it change direction as it goes around them.
When I had the wind sensors mounted on the roof of my two story house
about 15 feet up it was not as bad but it was still not perfect due to
nearby trees.

I think the bottom line is that if the weather vane is spinning it is
because the wind is changing direction and about the only thing you can
do is try to have it away from as many objects as you can. The good
news is that it is sensitive to even light winds. Mine will change
direction even when there not sufficient wind to spin the cups.