Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Elephant Elephant is offline

Default Wind Speed Problem with Heathkit ID-4001

My apologies. I missed in the first reading that you had already tried
spinning the weathervane manually and that it was intermittent. The
only thing I can think of in that case is to check the wires on the
bottom of the display where the sensor connects to the station. I have
found those flex over time and the small individual strands of wire that
make up the complete wire break one by one where they are soldered to
the connector. Perhaps one connection is now intermittent. I have also
found that a connector can shift and touch an adjacent connector if the
screw is not really tight. There are a lot of wires under there and it
is easy for one to touch another if things are not exactly right.

Thanks for that tip. I will check all the connections on the display
unit.

I really would hate to have to put the ID4001 to rest and get one of the
new units on the market. For one, I love the nice bright display. All
of the new stuff has LCD's that you can't see from across the room. And
I don't like the idea of waiting 7 to 15 seconds for an update on the
wireless sensors.

One other quick question. Does your wind vane move around alot? Let
me explain. During a breezy period, mine moves around as though
someone is spinning it with their hand. It doesn't hold in the
direction the wind is blowing from. I realize that there will be some
veriation for instance if the wind is from the SW, the display will vary
between south and west, but mine actually spins all the way around!
This isn't anything electrical and I can go outside and watch it sping
around like the anemometer! I've balanced it like the instruction
manual says, so that's not the problem. It's just annoying to see it
spinning like there is a tornado on top of me

It's not all the time, but during breezy conditions, it seems to do it
more than I think it should. Any suggestions?