Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Thru Chuck Needed

Rob wrote:
Check out this shop-made collet chuck.
http://www.davidreedsmith.com/Articl...olletChuck.htm

Thanks Rob, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Now I'm
thinking maybe I should spring for collet chuck like this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html

On the other hand now that I started looking around, maybe I should just
buy a decent 4 jaw chuck in case I get back into making bowls and
such... I'm still am not too interested in spending too much money...

This "apprentice" chuck at CraftSupply (WoodTurners catalog) seems like
a good bang for the buck one that would suit my needs?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... e_chuck?Args=

Anyone have experience with this chuck or with Craft Supply, or any
recommendations for a 4 jaw chuck?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
I have an old, 1954 vintage Rockwell Delta lathe. I've been using it to
put new tips on pool cues. To do this, I jam the cue shaft through the
hollow head spindle and into a ball bearing steady rest I made. This works
OK if I'm careful to wrap the cue shaft but is not ideal to say the least.

What I would like to get is a thru chuck that fits a 1 x 8 spindle that I
can tighten down on the cue shaft as it comes out of the spindle. I've
never used a jaw chuck to turn anything, I always attach a hunk of wood to
a face plate to mount bowls or spigots etc. Chucks are generally used to
hold bowls or spigots and descriptions are not clear to me if they would
hold something like this.

I'm looking for a cheap solution, nothing fancy or expensive, but I'm not
sure which chucks would work best to hold a thin (under 1/2") dowel
threaded through the spindle?

I'm looking at this one from Penn State tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ec...aw-chucks.html

I'm not sure this one would even work from the pictures, and I'd really
like something even cheaper, but under $100 I guess is ok. It needs to be
self centering as I don't want to fool around adjusting jaws.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com