Posted to uk.d-i-y
R D S[_2_] R D S[_2_] is offline

Default electrical regs

Bruce wrote:
R D S wrote:
I recently (well not quite it's been over two months) gave notice on a
unit I have rented for the last 5 years from the council. They are doing
a dilapidation report (not got this yet) but they have had an electrical
inspection done with work needing doing as following...

snip

Given that the above two issues are as they were when I took the unit on
I am surprised that I am expected to do anything about them or have
there been new regs with respect to this within the last 5 years?

Your lease is almost certain to be either a "full insuring and
repairing" or an "internal insuring and repairing lease". Either way,
you will find that, as the tenant, you are responsible for keeping
everything in good order. If the electrical regulations have changed
then you might be liable for updating the electrics, however this
should be clear from the terms of your lease.

You should go back to the solicitor who did the work on the lease for
you and ask for his/her opinion.

There is probably a lesson to be learned here!
RTFL!

I did read the lease at the time and nothing in it concerned me but
naively I won't have expected regs to change to the degree where I would
need to pay for moving a CU nearer to the frigging meter.