Posted to comp.sys.acorn.hardware,uk.d-i-y

Default VGA connections

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
The obvious conclusion is the DA is faulty - but given the variety of
SVGA connections could I be missing something?

What will it be doing with the serial connection for the
EDID data (to read back screen size, refresh rates, etc)?
If this isn't connected, some systems will assume there's
no monitor connected, and it might not be passed through the
splitter (and if it does, which socket is it connected to?)

It might not feed through your VGA lead either -- that could
be why it's on eBay ;-)

Well the maker's site seems to reckon it's compatible with all the various
standards.

(I've no idea if acorn systems use the monitor's EDID data.)

Don't think so.

CPC do loads of video cables of different lengths with
different gender connectors.

Indeed - but I was curious to know what it should be. Each site I look at
gives different connections for SVGA.

But it's sorted. The DA came without its wallwart PS - which could be why
I got it cheap. Normal 2.1mm? socket marked 9 v AC. And not having an AC
one I used DC. Which is usually ok. But not when the internal PS gives +/-
5 volts...

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.