Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Outlet tester, unusual indication

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 18:16:17 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

So the g.f. and I are chipping in on a newly remodeled investment house
in her city, 300 miles from me. Home inspector sent a report that
included a notation that the outlet intended for the refrigerator is
giving an odd indication on the 3-LED tester: All three lights
illuminate.

Any speculation on what could cause this unlisted and presumably
improbable test result?

In the time it took to post your message you could have opened the box
removed the outlet and checked the wiring.

Yeah, I know how to wire an outlet. Perhaps you missed the part where I
said I live 300 miles away.

Black wire to Gold screw
White wire to Silver screw
Bare or Green wire to Green screw.

If a plug is sloppy in the outlet, replace it.

Then spend $5 on one of those LED testers and test it yourself.

If it's still wrong, check the other end of that cable in the breaker
box. Maybe it's not grounded.

Either way, it's a minor problem. Not a fire hazzard, but it should
be fixed.