Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Outlet tester, unusual indication

wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 19:54:06 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
E Z Peaces wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
So the g.f. and I are chipping in on a newly remodeled investment house
in her city, 300 miles from me. Home inspector sent a report that
included a notation that the outlet intended for the refrigerator is
giving an odd indication on the 3-LED tester: All three lights
illuminate.

Any speculation on what could cause this unlisted and presumably
improbable test result?
Each terminal of an outlet can be hot, open, or grounded. That makes 27
possible combinations.

Damn. I'd have to go along with that.

With the tester I know you don't get all three lights unless the hot
terminal is grounded and neither other terminal is grounded. Both the
neutral and ground may be hot, or one may be open.

Hmm, wouldn't that qualify as hot and neutral reversed?

hot and neutral reversed and ground tied to hot neutral perhaps??

It's easier to imagine that somebody who would switch colors might not
bother with the ground or might not fasten it securely. It's even
easier to imagine that the inspector was picking up electrical leakage.
(I hope my spelling is better this time!)