Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default need suggestions for a multimeter in the shop...

Cydrome Leader wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Wes wrote:

Cydrome Leader wrote:

I can't think of any equivalents to a fluke. Just get one of those.

Yup. Not that this will help OP, my trusty Model 12 got dropped one time too many and the
case cracked away and I didn't notice the chunk was missing while there was a chance to
find it. Work is replacing it with an 117, ordered today.

I'm not a tool snob but when it comes to ammeters and DMM's, Fluke is always a safe
choice.

I'm not a fan of the all in ones with the amp clamp. Seems like most I've seen are half
arsed at everything.

Wes

Yes, you can't beat a Fluke. However a good Fluke isn't cheap, and the
$3 on sale Harbor Freight DMMs are very handy, and at that price you can
keep one in every vehicle and every toolbox, and keep the good Fluke
somewhere safe.

Don't even buy the fluke in this case. You'd be to busy keeping it safe
and using junk meters for all your real work.

That's what expensive tools and instruments are for- they'll take a daily
beating and still work better than cheaper things.

As for the "disposable meter" concept, I'm not buying that either. I'd
rather just buy fuses for a good meter with leads that won't electrocute
me in the first place, or mislead me with 0 or other garbage readings.

So, who here buys disposable chinese ladders and just tosses them out when
the rungs break or they collapse?

I'm not about to keep a good $300 Fluke meter in the truck in 100 degree
summers or -10 degree winters. A $3 HF meter, no problem, and it's
always there in the truck with my socket set and other tools for on the
road troubleshooting.

The same goes for having one of those $3 meters in every toolbox. I have
separate toolboxes for RF/video, phone/data, etc. and each one has one
of those meters in it. They are perfectly fine for continuity checks,
etc. and always handy.