Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Insulation in a Condo

Paddy Waggin wrote:

Is there any way to insulate existing walls in a 2nd floor condo?

Just a couple walls infiltrate cold air during winter... Being on the
2nd flr, can I dump foam or any insulation down my walls to help my
heat bill? What about the downstairs unit? They get MY efforts?

And, also... how bout high ceilings? Can they be more insulated? Not
easy to get to.... I called a few co's and was told, "it would be very
dusty to blow in stuff"...

True? Anyone have alternative sources to put in place? :-) TIA.

Check the condo laws in your area before you do anything. Around here,
a condo owner owns "painted surface to painted surface", with the rest
of the building belonging to the condo association*. You own the paint,
but you don't own the wallboard, studs, insulation, wiring, pipes, or
outer surface of the wall. Of course, any interior walls are yours,
guts included. :-)

This is a rather technical definition, since I'm sure you wouldn't be
challenged for fixing a wall gouge or driving a nail for a picture.

* According to my architect brother-in-law in Dallas.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement