Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Aglionby Adam Aglionby is offline

Default Which GU10 bulb?

On 8 Nov, 00:06, wrote:
On 7 Nov, 23:42, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
* * * * writes:

Hello,

I have around 14 GU10 bulbs in my house and was just looking at the
Tool station catalog, they have quite a few different types of GU10
bulbs.

Which one would be the best if after an energy saving alternative?

GU10 Halogen Xenon, Long life.
GU10 Cold Cathode Reflector lamp.
GU10 LED Lamp- 20 clusters.
GU10 Compact flouroscent.

Your views are greatly appreciated.

Lowest power consumption will be LED, but you might not notice
much difference from leaving the bulbs out completely. Either
way, you'll need to buy torches so you can actually find your
way around the house.

Compact fluorescent is probably the next best, and might be
usable. You won't get same light output as filament, but the
wider beam spread may more than compensate by lighting walls
and other reflective surfaces better.

Best solution would be to replace the GU10 lighting with
something more suitable for general lighting. I've never
understood why people accept cheap unsuitable crap lighting,
which costs a fortune to run, or why it ever became so trendy.

--
Andrew Gabriel

The lights are in one bedroom and the Kitchen. I reckon it will be the
CF then.

A decent surface mounting fitting with your choice of decent CFL lamps
will cover the GU10 holes and give much better light spread.

GU10 CFLs and CCFLs are a joke, they aren`t efficient, tend like
they`re line volatge halogen cousins to be somewhat short lived, and
simply dont fit.

Cram cones of loads of small LEDs aren`t very good in general.

Adam