Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Calvin is offline

Default Which GU10 bulb?

wrote:

Hello,

I have around 14 GU10 bulbs in my house and was just looking at the
Tool station catalog, they have quite a few different types of GU10
bulbs.

Which one would be the best if after an energy saving alternative?

GU10 Halogen Xenon, Long life.
GU10 Cold Cathode Reflector lamp.
GU10 LED Lamp- 20 clusters.
GU10 Compact flouroscent.

Your views are greatly appreciated.

197mm. Well that's how long my bit of string is.

Seriously, it depends totally on your requirements.
The LED will look pretty if you like that sort of thing. It will use
very little power but give so little light as to be useless. Any
light it does give will likely be very blue and highly directional
which may or may not be what you want.
The CF will have its own colour characteristics and probably give a
good spread of light. You may like the way it looks, you may not. It
will be physically longer than normal bulbs and may require you modify
the fitting. Power use will be low though.
The Halogen will use more power but will give lots of crisp white
light.
I don't know about the Cold Cathode as I've not seen one in this
format but generally I would expect it to have characteristics similar
to the CF, maybe a little bluer.

You really need ot buy a sample of each and try them in the intended
use.