Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default {OT} spread the wealth

You want your savings confiscated and turned into money that will be
used by the government for their pet pork projects just like Social
Security has become? The SSA "lockbox" concept has become a farce. I
think I know how to manage my own money better than they do.

There never was and never will be a lockbox for SSA. Also, they aren't
spending it because they really can't. The only place it can legally go
is into NON-MARKETABLE treasury securities. Oh, and to hide the REAL
decifict and come up with bogus surpluses.
They were also talking about a whopping 3% return and even that was
all sorts of wiggle words. Never been a time when the Dow failed to earn
at leat 8% compounded over a 20-year period.
Also to the 62 year old. Look at how much your IRA is STILL worth
vs what you put into it. I have had an IRA since they started. If you
look at what I put in in my yearly contribution, one would see that even
after swoon I still have assets more than 10 times higher than what I
put in. Thanks to the magic of compounding interest, etc.
Also, the 62 y/o most likely has at least another 15 or more years
to make it back.
BTW: For most the CURRENT return on your SS investment is less than
3%, for minorities and most of those in their 30s or younger, the ROI is
negative.