Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Thru Chuck Needed

mac davis wrote:

I'm looking at this one from Penn State tools:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ec...aw-chucks.html

I'm not sure this one would even work from the pictures, and I'd really
like something even cheaper, but under $100 I guess is ok. It needs to
be self centering as I don't want to fool around adjusting jaws.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Should work...
I have a Oneway Talon chuck and run dowels through the spindle and tighten the
chuck on them..
I guess that they're too long (1 piece) to do between centers?

Not that they're too long but to shape the tip you need the end of the
shaft open. Oneway looks like a nice chuck but I don't plan on using it
enough to spend too much. I think the Woodturner's 3-Jaw Micro Chuck
might be all I need except the jaws look like they would damage the
shaft? Does anyone own the chuck?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCM18X.html

It goes for $60 but doesn't say it's self centering, so I guess it's not?
--
Jack
http://jbstein.comlike