Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Elephant[_2_] Elephant[_2_] is offline

Default Wind Speed Problem with Heathkit ID-4001

wrote:

I have a problem with my Heathkit ID-4001 Weather Station. The wind
speed works fine if there is any wind but when there is a calm wind
condition it occasionally starts giving erratic wind speeds. If it
should be reading zero speed, it reads zero and then jumps to a higher
wind speed, such as 32 and then back down to zero or up to 41. There
doesn't seem to be any pattern that I can discern. The actual wind
speed values tend to be random and when they occur appears to be random.

snip

I have an ID-4001 and I'm running into a similar problem. Mine, however
is with the direction giving random readings. In normal operation, say
the wind is from the southeast. All of a sudden, the indicator will
jump to northwest. It doesn't "turn" to the northwest, it will all of a
sudden "jump" there. I've tried to get it to do it by manually
rotating the wind vane, but just can't seem to re-create the problem.

I'm kind of thinking that the problem may be in the 8-wire cable. I'm
still using the original cable that came with the kit. Having wire
outside for that many years, maybe it's corroding and not allowing the
full 5 volts through.

Just a thought. Anyone care to comment?

Since it's not a constant problem, I haven't set aside time to check
voltages.