Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External parcel box

eastender wrote:
Has anyone put a largish postbox near the front door to take parcels
(eg a packet of books that won't go thru letterbox), and if so what
models are working out well? Getting fed up with trips to the post
office, which is well over a mile away and hard to park by.

Did a local drop off point system ever get going?

I have exactly that problem, never in when parcels arrive. Better now that
I can buy from a local Screwfix depot, but still a problem with other
suppliers. Our local Parcel Force depot is about 6 miles away.

A self locking parcel box is a brilliant idea. I know that, during harvest
time, farmers always want combine harvester parts delivered immediately.
The local agricultural dealer will have a lockable wire cage in the yard,
and the parts supplier will deliver at whatever time in the evening/night &
leave the parcels in the cage - I guess they have a key/combination, or it
is left unlocked & they snap the padlock.

DHL have a partial solution to the problem. They have parcels delivered to
a local self employed guy who delivers them evenings & weekends - the
problem is you have to get the supplier to use their service.

Their must be a national chain who are open 24/7 that could accept parcels
anytime & allow collection. Tesco or similar maybe? Petrol stations?
McDonalds?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk