Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default New Wood Fece Termite Damage?

Kevin Ricks wrote:

Anthony Lisanti wrote:

I just installed a new wood fence on my property about 6 months ago. I
just got around to treating it with water seal, and I've noticed one
part the wood seems mushy with little holes, here and there. They
appear to be oval shape on a 45' angle. It's on a very small part of
the fence.

Are you sure the damage was not in the board before installation?
Could be carpenter bees maybe. I had a section of fence nearly
destroyed by them.

Carpenter bees usually have a much larger and very regular, round hole.
Termite
holes, for kicking out waste, are about 1/16".

Is this termites or what? I can only assume it is, since the house
was treated 5 years ago before I bought it.

Treating the structure would have nothing at all to do with whether
there are termites
in the soil - assume that there are always termites in soil, just as
there are ants and
earthworms. Sealing up the structure, keeping wood painted and in good
repair,
caulking all plumb/elect openings, wood at least 6" above grade,
landscaping clear
of wood structural elements do a lot to keep termies out.

5 years ago means nothing. Termites can be back in a matter of weeks.
If you are live in a termite prone climate, you should have an
inspection every 1 to 2 years.

If there is wood, there are termites.

If I finish sealing the

rest of the fence, would the treatment deter these things?

Probably not much.
Kevin